5th Grade Throughlines

1. Question: How can examining something from multiple perspectives deepen our understanding of it?

Statement: Students will understand multiple perspectives to create an accurate, authentic picture of a story.

2. Question: How does conflict, and resistance to conflict, play a role in the stories we hear and tell?

Statement: Students will understand the role conflict and resistance play in stories we hear and tell.

3. Question: How do we find out the truth about things that happened long ago or far away?

Statement: Students will understand how sources of information shape the picture we get of historical times.

Friday, January 29, 2010

January 25 - 29

Happy Friday everyone!

As I'm sure everyone read in our agendas, we are taking a field trip to Boston for a walking/trolley tour to historic sites. This integrates with our social studies curriculum of Colonial America and the Revolution. Recently, we explored the idea of propaganda and how it influences thinking. Students looked at primary documents of the Boston Massacre and compared how different pictoral accounts of the incident were different based on the person who created the picture. It was interesting!

In mathematics, students are working their way through long division. We are wrapping up long division with one digit divisors and will explore two digit divisors next week. I am so pleased to see the progress in mathematical thinking, cooperative learning, and the high level of interest in our mathematics curriculum.

We have finalized and mailed, YAHOO, our immigration essays. I will post completed copies of our essays for you to see. Now our fingers are crossed to see if a Friends Academy student wins! We put a great deal of thought into our essays and had some interesting conversations about immigration and its contributions to our country. I am pleased to see the level of revision the students are able to engage in with the writing process. They have evolved into thoughtful reflective writers. Their pride is evident as is their feelings of personal success. It's a wonderful process to watch unfold. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with them.

It's quite windy out there today. Please watch the weather for Tuesday's field trip carefully! We need to be appropriately clothed for cold weather. Let's hope no precipitation joins us on Tuesday.

Warmly,
Laura

P.S. I hope to see you all at Game Night. I will be running Othello in my room. Stop by if you're here!

No comments:

Post a Comment