Welcome friend! We are so glad you're here. Our Sally Borden School 5th grade blog will be used for our weekly newsletter and other tidbits the students and I wish to share. Check out our 5th grade Throughlines. These overarching goals guide our curriculum and learning throughout the year.
5th Grade Throughlines
1. Question: How can examining something from multiple perspectives deepen our understanding of it?
Statement: Students will understand multiple perspectives to create an accurate, authentic picture of a story.
2. Question: How does conflict, and resistance to conflict, play a role in the stories we hear and tell?
Statement: Students will understand the role conflict and resistance play in stories we hear and tell.
3. Question: How do we find out the truth about things that happened long ago or far away?
Statement: Students will understand how sources of information shape the picture we get of historical times.
Friday, April 8, 2011
Week of April 8th
We have had a tumultuous week of illness! I hope all who've been out are feeling better. Despite my son, Diego being out all week with a terrible virus, I am still standing and healthy. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
We had an interesting conversation about the possible government shut down today during morning meeting. We are finding many topics in the news that pertain to our study of government. We have begun to look at the three branches of government and what a democracy is. I am focusing on note-taking and summarizing text as a study skill.
We are back into the swing of things with our Read Naturally and spelling. Please encourage your child to use their iPod when practicing Read Naturally. We will continue with thirty minutes of reading daily through the end of the year. I am forever grateful for your support with this.
I hope that everyone is enjoying the lovely weather today. Have a wonderful weekend!
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment